Sunday, September 9, 2012

SMF 9/9/12 Facetime and Google Hangout/chat

Hi everybody,

It's here.  Phones now have service that is fast enough to stream a videoconference call.  If you have a new iphone, you can use facetime with other people who have new iphones.  If you have an android, you can "hangout" with anyone with a computer and a webcam/mic setup, as well as anyone with an android.  Now, I can't claim to have fully investigated the apple products, especially since my wife now has a droid razr, but I did see it in action and it seemed to work.  I'm excited about the hangouts mostly for the possibilities.  I'm not sure how secure they are, but I bet it will be a nice solution for friends who haven't gotten together in a while to chat face to face (almost).  The group conversation is also easier when you can read facial cues to figure out who's about to speak.  I'd like to set up a test of the system with a couple other droid users and make sure it works when it's more than just me and another person. This also has the ability to TOTALLY alter the face (lol) of communications, because I'll be paying for very few minutes.  Most of the people I talk to have a computer or a droid, so I can call them with a hangout whenever I want, instead of having to use my verizon minutes.  And since, for the moment, I have unlimited data, I'm going to be pressing my cheap button and doing THAT a lot.

Also, a question: do any of you know anything about the bluetooth watches that synch with droids?  I know some of them can check time, email, texts, facebook updates, etc.  I was thinking it might be a sneaky way to check stuff during the day while NOT pulling out my phone in front of my class, but I'm not sure it's worth the $150 for a gizmo that might not last very long.

What do you all think?

~Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment