Monday, September 10, 2012

SMF 9/10/12 Bumping $ at Dunkin?

Hi again,

Yesterday I was at Dunkin.  Now, I try to be cheap and stay away from coffee I don't make, but sometimes I go.  I noticed a stanchion that said you could pay with your smartphone . . . I can only assume that this must be google wallet?  I like the idea, I'm just skeptical of the security.  Has anyone tried this?  It must work by linking up a credit card with your google account (which I've already done) and then using that to send payment.  I'm not concerned with the security of google's side, I'm concerned with the security of whatever wifi or Verizon network my phone's sending data through.  If Joe Schmoe is running the wifi network my phone added itself to automatically, couldn't he keep a record of the transaction and hack my bank account?  Someone better at network security than I am should tackle this one.  Do any of you out there know?  Is this the wave of the future, or the wave of future credit card fraud . . . I'm not sure my cheap button will allow me to be the first out there with a card linked to a big limit AND my droid.  At least not without some assurances.  Again, the idea sounds great - my wallet can contain just my ID, a bit of cash, and a smartphone which has all my credit card info.  However, losing a smartphone would now mean losing my wallet as well, which would suck.  Also, to reference the bike spoke incident, I'd be left penniless and bleeding, whereas if I carried a card I'd still at least have access to my money.

Lots of pluses and minuses here, but I've got to go get ready for my day job.  Have a good one all,

~Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment