Sunday, September 16, 2012

SMF 9/16/12 The Tally

Morning everybody,

I've decided, since I'm a math guy, to tally my savings so far based on my smartphone against the monthly cost of having this device.  I'll just take the last month or so, since, let's be honest here, my memory doesn't clearly depict events farther back in history than that.

Cost: $80/month for the phone plan, +250 for the phone.

Savings:
Gas - 20 cents a gallon times 100 gallons = $20
Groupons and Livingsocial deals: $20 at Adams Mill, $22 at Hooker Brewery, $40 at Kershaw through Groupon Goods.
Streaming music: subscription to one of these would cost at least $20 a month (notwithstanding that I'd be too cheap to do this)
Craigslist: $300 trailer, $400 tractor, $200 recumbent bicycle, $200 misc. exercise equipment.
GPS: Could have paid another $200 for this.

I think I'm doing pretty well, at -$1422 vs. $330, for a net profit of $1092 this month.

Even if I overestimated a bit, I feel like I made at least $1000 this month in profits.  I'm sure I would have Craigslisted anyway on a computer, but the fact that I can do it while on the road is priceless (Caveat, don't drive distracted - I only do it at lights).  If I happen to be far away from home and see a CL item for free that's close, I can get it while I'm out, saving more gas.

Not all months will be this good, but I won't have to buy a new phone each month either :)

~Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment