Saturday, September 8, 2012

SMF 9/8/12 Severe Weather alert

Hi Everybody,

There was a severe weather warning today - so severe that my smartphone actually told me to take cover!  I was listening to google music, and then it just stopped - and the alert tone came on to tell me that I was in a tornado warning area.  How cool is that?  I mean, you expect local radio stations to help out with things like that, but severe weather alerts sent to your phone during a tornado watch?  Very cool.  Luckily, I didn't need the alert, but it was nice to know that it would come to me no matter what I was listening to.

Does anyone out there know how this technology works?  Does it get in touch with us based upon the tower we're currently connected to, the place we have the phone registered to, or what?  Would I have gotten the warning if I was in the next state because my home address was registered?  Was it Verizon, or some weather app I have installed?

Anyhow, whoever it was, I was glad it happened.  Though it meant that I didn't get to go out to dinner, it also meant I was safe.  We can add life saving info provider to the long list of what our smartphones can do for us.

~Mark
  

No comments:

Post a Comment