Tuesday, October 9, 2012

SMF 10/8/12 Limitations of cell phone data plans

So, I was in an office waiting for an appointment.  I was minding my own business and typing on my bluetooth keyboard, and actually getting some good work done instead of wasting the time.  The lady next to me asks whether she can do a cell phone data plan and get rid of her dsl.  Now, I really dislike DSL, but I'm pretty sure if the lady ever wants to download a movie or watch streaming video she's still going to want a data plan for her house instead of sharing her cell phone data plan.  Even if she has 4g LTE with full bars at her house, it wouldn't be much of an advantage.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/broadband-grudge-match-cable-vs-dsl-vs-4g/

This has a decent review of all of the options.  I don't think 4glte's there yet . . . I'm still hanging on to my cable (though i am way too cheap to afford $330 a month for business class).  Oh, ahem, not cheap, FRUGAL.

Speaking of that, unless you have unlimited data, 4gLTE does have that major drawback; if you have to worry about what you download, you shouldn't use this to replace your home service.  See my earlier blog about throttling bandwidth to convince customers to get rid of their unlimited plans.  In my current estimation, the best way to go is Verizon 4gLTE unlimited if you can still get it, plus a phone that can attach to your wifi at home for blazing fast cable internet.  If you're trying to cost cut, get rid of cable tv/satellite/homephone service and replace it with Netflix, Amazon VOD (Video on Demand), hulu, etc.  The only disadvantage to this is that you don't get live tv as quickly as somebody with cable, but I bet this will be changing sometime soon as well.

Have a good one,

~Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment