Thursday, January 10, 2019

Fully sustainable life? @goalzero @Atlis @tinysolar #solar #sustainability @tesla

Hi all,

I've been thinking about being fully sustainable for a while now.  I suppose many people go "off the grid" to prove their sustainability.  I'd like to stay on the grid, but I think the product I'd like doesn't exist yet.  There are a lot of van life posts on instagram and youtube, and they take a diesel or gasoline powered van and turn it sort of solar.  I'd like to take an electric vehicle, make it as solar powered as it can be, and tour as much of the country as I can during my summer break.  I think the right vehicle for this would be the Atlis truck with a camper on the back, powered by goal zero and a system by #tinysolar.  In full sun/best situation, I think the camper could fully power itself, and (MAYBE) feed some power back to the truck itself.  If my base camp has a solar bank and a solar wall from Tesla, I could get full recharges for free. 

If this is possible, then road trips would be almost free!  This triggers my cheap button . . . but also my sustainable button.  I'm sure there are some engineering problems I haven't thought about.  I also don't know what kind of camper top I'd like/need to augment the Atlis.  The best option would probably be an Atlis van, if such a thing does/could exist, which is full 4wd, dually, and looks a lot like the mercedes vans. 

I'd love anybody's take on this - I know somebody's thought about doing it before.  It's probably a pipe dream, but it seems like a nice dream.

Have a great day all,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment