Sunday, September 10, 2017

Trickle down economics (for schools)

Hi all,

I work in a school.  When people donate computers, or when title 1 funds give us free computers, we always put them in the computer labs, which are the first things the students break.  Instead, I'm advocating that we give them to the teachers to use to project their lessons, have students print, etc.  In this way, we could have student usage of the machines without the tragedy of the commons that indubitably will happen if the best machines are left in the most vulnerable, unclaimed areas.  This will work sort of like trickle down economics of the 80s, but it will actually WORK.

For instance, if I get a brand new machine for my room, my teacher machine either a) replaces the computer in the computer lab or b) goes to the back of my room for a learning center/student station.

Now what, pray tell, does this have to do with smart phones or being frugal?  Well, here's the connection.  I have a Samsung Galaxy s8, but the way I distributed the s7 actives and such was very trickle-downy.  My friends and family got all the upgrades, and their old phones went to people around them (or me) who had worse phones.  All told, my plan still has: 2 s8s, 2 s7actives, a note 5, an s5 active, an iphone 6+, a J3, a Samsung tab E, and an ipad mini.  I still have room for one more device, but nobody wants to give me old phones.

Anyhow, the nice thing about the trickle down is that I am able to upgrade everybody I know.  My uncle has an s7 in an otterbox which charges wirelessly, my gf has an s7 active in camo which is also in an otterbox, and her son has a note 5, which was leftover after my friend got her iphone 6+.  I gave the s5 to a friend of mine, who will give me his j3 to put on another unlimited data plan so I can use the 10 gigs of wifi hotspot.  My girlfriend was able to give her old s7 to her daughter, who passed her old j3 to me.  I then gave that to a friend of mine so she has a working phone (her iphone broke).  Oh, one last thing: I traded my gold s7active for a broken gold s7active, so another friend of mine had a good one.  All these things were possible because I have this stupidly large cell plan and am willing to help people with their trickle down.  Speaking of which, if anybody wants to trade an iphone for a used s7active (a few scratches), I can upgrade my other friend with the J3 so she'll be happy with her iphone.  If it's an iphone 5 or better, I'll trade for the s7active.  Then, I can be sure I'm helping everybody the way they want, and I can use the J3 for somebody with no phone who will appreciate it.

So, I want to take this idea to the big time.  I have a charity called @gr8fullyfeclub which does this with Computers, Bikes, canoes, cell phones, and (hopefully soon) cars.  I just need people with funds.  I can only support this on my back (and my bank account) for just so long.  Every time I upgrade, I give the old stuff to people who need it or will appreciate it.  In this way, my "hoarder communism" can make peoples' lives better, while not affecting my life too badly.

Have a great day, and spread the wealth!

~Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment