Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Free things to do that are amazing

Hi all,

I've taken a break from this for a while, but I think it's a good time to get back to it.  I've been working on a nonprofit called the gr8fullyfeclub (@ and #) and though it's been fun and leads me to great life experiences, it isn't generating any money yet.  That's ok - I've figured out how to not have it cost a ton anymore. 

Here's an example.  I had a spare $200, so I went to McDonalds in Hartford, near Jennings Road.  I happen to know that lots of people go there who can't afford to eat much.  I got a rewards card, then put few bucks on it.  Then I linked it to a few other cards, so that everybody was earning rewards.   I could have eaten a really fancy dinner for 200, but instead I got lots of people some food.  Everybody hungry at that McDonalds got to eat that day, and I got a lot of positive feedback.  It felt a lot better than a fancy dinner.  Not free, but worth it.  I've spent $200 on much stupider things.

There are also lots of free things that are great fun.  Many hikes, walks and drives are nearly free (excluding gas).  You can also, for the price of groceries, have a bbq at a dam or on the Appalachian trail (or similar). 

Happy do-gooding!

Also, the McDonalds thing is an example of two economic theories I'm positing.  1) Spending money on others like this can make you happier and 2) Trickle up economics can work when people help other people in a directed manner.  It is the way we can make the middle class viable again.

Have a great day,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment