Wednesday, August 29, 2012

SPF #5 Epic Otterbox

Hi again everybody,

So I broke my droid.  Epically.  The Best Buy salesman said that there was a phone with similar damage that had been thrown from the roof of a moving car and hit by a bus.  I managed to do all my damage while road biking with mine - no fueled vehicles, just me and my beefy spokes.  Even the mighty OtterBox failed to protect my phone, but I think anything but a steel case would have.  Anyhow, the point of this article is to praise OtterBox for their customer service, not to talk about how badly I broke the phone and their case.  

I’m of the opinion that most companies don’t need to advertise if they have a good enough product and provide customer service.  I’ve always liked OtterBox as a company, and their cases have always worked well until now.  So I got the commuter series instead of the defender series.  People always make fun of my defender cases because they’re so overbuilt, but they also are pretty darn sturdy.  I feel like I’m holding a football instead of a phone.  I’ve always been pretty careful with my phones, so I took a risk and got the commuter series for my Droid Razr Maxx.  Big mistake.  Me being me, I obviously did some frugality checks - these cases aren’t cheap - and found a good one online at Amazon for less money.  I also got one at the cell phone store so that I wasn’t walking around unprotected, and returned it once my cheaper one came in.

Most things aren’t worth $35, but the OtterBox case is.  Their guarantee is such that, even though this whole debacle was my fault, they would replace my case.  When I called and talked to a customer service rep, they even upgraded me to a defender series FOR FREE.  I offered to pay the difference in price, and they said no!  How cool is that?  I figured that the only thing to do in this situation is to sing OtterBox’s praises as a company.  I mean, anybody with that kind of commitment to their product and their customers doesn’t need to pay for advertising.  Anybody asking me what kind of case to get will get the answer, “Otterbox Defender” - and if they’re worried about size, the commuter . . . at least until they wreck their phone and want more protection :)

~Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment