Sunday, November 4, 2012

SMF 11/3/12 Kindle Fire

Hi everybody,

I just won a Kindle Fire from the Hartford Courant (http://www.courant.com/).  It's a snazzy size, works in color and does a bunch of cool e-readery things.  For instance, it can read websites, newspapers, blogs, books, and some other stuff, as well as play videos and music.  I'm still learning the tricks of it, but I'm a bit nonplussed . . . . I think my phone can still do more.  I wonder if there's a way to root the thing so I can put some sort of android OS on it.  Well . . . . a better android.

http://liliputing.com/2012/05/how-to-root-a-kindle-fire-with-software-version-6-3-1.html

Oh Hey!  It turns out you can.  I'm still filled with some trepidation though; as soon as you do that, you void the warranty, and it might be worse at what it's purpose-built to do (i.e. read books).  I like the bigger display, and with my bluetooth keyboard attached I could basically have a mini-laptop on my hands.  However, I'm less than pleased with the fact that to install an app I have to first find it in the amazon store (not google play).

If I didn't already own a droid which does more, I think I'd be really impressed with this thing, but I think they may have limited it a bit too much.

Anybody care to weigh in?

~Mark

p.s. - this time change thing stinks.  My body hasn't realized that it's a bad idea to wake up at what I call super-grandpa-o'clock (this morning I woke up at 4, which is really 3).  What to do with all this extra time . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment